Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tagging is not a crime (Thing 13)

Well, at least not in this application! To be honest, I've never really paid much attention to tags. I looked at the tags on delicious and flickr and I can see how they would be helpful for those websites. I'm really not sure about incorporating that into a library catalogue. I really think that since there are so many words for all subjects, people's associations are very different and some people are just malicious jerks, it would just cause a lot of unnecessary problems. This next statement is probably going to anger some people but I'm going to write it anyway. In my opinion, there's a reason the people that work in libraries have to go to school. They are there to make sure that things are put in order, whether by number or subject or whatever. Just letting the general public have at the catalogue is just not acceptable to me. Call me old fashioned or call me whatever, I just think there are some things that should be left to professionals. The catalogue should be one of those things. Outside of that, rock on with the tagging.

1 comment:

  1. But the professionals are not the ones that actually do the cataloging, at least not where I work. We leave that job to part time and full time people who are able to do clerical tasks. I understand your frustration, but imagine mine when Raging Bull with Robert DeNiro was cataloged as a DVD biography!!>!>!>!

    ReplyDelete