Tuesday, June 23, 2009

IM! OMG! (Thing 11)

First of all, let me say that the "text language" that kids use today is not new. This "language" started a long time ago and started on IM. I know because I have a notebook full of it that is written in my high school handwriting. (Yes, my handwriting has evolved over the years.) Ok, now that I'm done with that, I have to say that I still really like IM programs. Although I no longer sign on to talk to complete strangers like I did in my teens (Fun, yes; Smart, no way!), it is a great way to keep in touch with people that no longer live near me. I can always send them a text message but I'm just a much faster typist with a computer. Plus, sometimes when one person sends me multiple text messages, it can feel overwhelming. The "live action" feel of a chat is so much easier, although I will say that sarcasm doesn't always translate well and this can lead to possible misunderstandings. I also like that I can chat with multiple people, unlike with a phone (well I guess there is a way to do that but that's just WAY too advanced for me!)

The library here uses meebo on a limited basis, mainly to help employees navigate our intranet system. What I didn't know about meebo, until I read the blog about this thing, is that it can let you chat on almost all a person's programs! YAY!!! Personal use aside, I really think it would benefit the library system if we were to have a meebo interface for employees to talk to each other. I can understand why they would be hesitant since it could always be abused but then again, so can anything. Again, that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I used to chat to random people as well... I think I like using the facebook chat better...

    ReplyDelete